The Tech Files
My name is Rollie Herman and I have over 35 years of experience in the marine industry. Since 1984 I have been both the lead technician and president of Westpac Marine Services. What I am attempting to provide with these Tech File pieces is information derived from my years working as a technician and I hope you find it useful.
As of July 1, 2017 we have sold the service side of our business. I have left the information below for historical reference but will not be updating it as situations change.
EPIRB's and PLB's
- Should I buy an EPIRB or PLB?
- What's up with EPIRB Registration?
- How much is a previously owned EPIRB worth?
- What are the differences between commercial and recreational life rafts?
- Do you need a hydrostatic release?
- How often does my life raft need to be serviced?
- How much is a previously owned recreational life raft worth?
- Regulatory jargon, what do all those acronyms mean?
- Types of recreational life rafts
- Lessons learned from the sinking of the Katmai
- Attaching a Hydrostatic Release on a Switlik flat pack life raft